Last night was awful. My partner came down with a fever and chest infection so he was tossing and turning all night and my cats decided to get into a fight right outside the bedroom door. Needless to say I didn’t get any sleep and to top it off I already knew I had a busy morning ahead of me at work.
I work in an office, so I spend 90% of my time in a comfy chair which can make it a lot harder to stay awake. I am going to share some tips with you on how I manage to keep myself awake and focused at work after a sleepless night. I will be recommending some fantastic products from Yves Rocher and if you purchase any of them I earn a small commission to help keep this blog running.
If your eyes look slightly swollen hold a cold compress on them for a few minutes. I would reccomend either a cold wash cloth or spoon that has been refrigerated.
2. Your first instinct might be to go straight for a coffee or energy drink. That’s fine, drink one or two but leave it at that. Don’t rely on caffeinated beverages to keep you going throughout the day, you will feel more alert if you keep yourself hydrated instead. Try herbal teas or water infused with citrus fruit slices or mint leaves.
3. Bring healthy snacks. On a day like today you will want to make sure your food choices are rich in fiber and protein. Fill that lunch bag with fruit and veggies, yogurt with granola, beef jerky, nuts, and seeds. A tortilla wrap filled with veggies and lean meat would be an excellent choice for lunch. These types of foods will keep you full and give you the energy you need to keep going.
4. Engage in conversation. The more you talk the less likely you will be to fall asleep. Even mention to your coworkers that you didn’t get any sleep so they are aware of why you might not be doing your best work.
5. If you are able to get to your workplace with in 30 minutes by foot than leave your car behind. Exercise will keep you feeling alert. If you have a job where you are sitting down most of the day make sure to get up every 20 minutes or so to stretch and walk around your desk.
6. Citrusy scents are known for helping you feel energized. Now you probably can’t burn a lemon scented candle at your desk so if you have any citrus scented lotions keep one at your desk to apply to your hands. Peppermint and ginger are also energizing scents if you do not like citrus. If you enjoy peppermint I would highly recommend this Yves Rocher US: Energizing Hand Lotion $4 USD or Yves Rocher Canada: Energizing Hand Lotion $4 CAD in Raspberry Peppermint.
8. If you’re allowed to listen to music at work put your earbuds in and pick out the same playlist you would for working out. It’s always hard to sleep when you have upbeat music blasting.
9. Keep a well lit work area. A bright space will keep your mind alert. Make sure all the curtains are open and lights are turned on.